Buy Rope will give away 100% of our profits made on Sunday 27th February for International Polar Bear Day to a charity supporting the welfare of polar bears.
If you are a charity or not for profit organisation supporting the welfare of polar bears and you are in need of additional funds please follow the steps on how to apply mentioned at the bottom of this blog.
You can read more about our monthly donations here.
What is International Polar Bear Day?
International Polar Bear Day is an event launched by Polar Bear International with the aim of raising awareness of the danger climate change is posing on these arctic animals. The date of the event coincides with the time of the year when polar bear moms and cubs are snug in their dens – their safety being another concern for activists. This celebration encourages people and companies to find ways of reducing their carbon footprint, therefore taking a stand against global warming.
Why are polar bears in danger?
- According BBC, polar bears could go extinct by 2100 due to climate change if the shrinking of the Arctic sea ice isn’t stopped
- Pollution stands as another danger to polar bears – WWF notes that the toxic chemicals ingested by polar bears are weakening their immune system and even poisoning young cubs.
- With the ice melting, polar bears are forced to spend more time on the shore, resulting in more frequent conflicts with each other and people – reports Polar Bears International.
What we are doing to help
100% of the profits made by Buy Rope on the 27th February will be donated to charity supporting the welfare of polar bears.
Are you a charity helping polar bears?
If you are a charity or not for profit organisation supporting the welfare of polar bears, we would love to hear from you. The application is open internationally to any charity.
Please follow these steps to apply for the funds:
- Go to our Facebook page
- Find our post about this event
- Share the post publicly
- Collect as many likes as you can on your shared post until the 27th of February.
The donation will be sent to the organisation who gets the most likes on Facebook until the 27th of February. We will announce the results on the 1st of March.
Thanks to our customers we raised £107 for Winton Foundation for the Welfare of Bears.
The Winton Foundation for the Welfare of Bears was launched in 2010. The Foundation is working to raise awareness and collect funds to support projects around the world to help 8 species of bears, such as polar bears . They are part of the global network working to help end the abuse and exploitation of bears throughout the world and to provide care for them following rescue.
Comment from Winton Foundation for the Welfare of Bears
“The polar bear organisations we have supported in the past have been Polar Bears International and Cochrane Bear Habitat. We are supporting the work of Polar Bears International, based in the United States and dedicated to the worldwide conservation of the Polar Bear and its habitat through research, stewardship, and education. Polar Bear International provides scientific resources and information on Polar Bears and their habitat to institutions and the general public worldwide.” – Lesley Winton BEM, Founder and Director
Other ways to help their work
- You can find out more about how to make a one-off or recurring donation on their website.
- They have also put together a list of alternative ways to help their work through individual fundraisers.