Buy Rope will give away 100% of our profits made on Sunday 19th of September for Talk Like a Pirate Day 2021 to a children’s charity or organisation.
If you are a charity or not for profit organisation supporting children in need and you are in need of additional funds please follow the steps on how to apply mentioned at the bottom of this blog.
You can read more about our monthly donations here.
What is International Talk Like a Pirate Day?
Talk Like a Pirate Day was first launched in 1995, but it remained a lesser known holiday until 2002. However, after being covered by humor columnist Dave Barry, it became more popular around the world. Pirates are stereotyped as speaking a funny, grammatically incorrect version of the English language, and the purpose of this day was to highlight that.
However, today Talk Like a Pirate Day is used to raise awareness of something of a more serious importance. Worldwide, people and organisations are celebrating the day by raising funds to children’s charities and cancer research.
Why should we support children’s charity?
- According to CPAG, about 4.3 million children are currently living in poverty in the UK, which makes up 31% of the nation’s children.
- 8% of all children in the UK are living with some kind of disability that requires special accommodations, as reported by Scope. Sadly, many families cannot afford to cater to their children’s special needs.
- Data by ONS estimates that one in five adults in the UK have experienced some form of child abuse before the age of 16.
What we are doing to help
100% of the profits made by Buy Rope on the 19th of September will be donated to a children’s charity or organisation supporting the wellbeing of children.
Are you a children’s charity?
If you are a children’s charity or organisation supporting children we would love to hear from you. The application is open to any UK charity.
Please follow these steps to apply for the funds:
- Go to our Facebook page
- Find our post about this event
- Share the post publicly
- Collect as many likes as you can on your shared post until the 19th of September.
The donation will be sent to the organisation who gets the most likes on Facebook until the 19th of September! We will announce the results on the 21st of September.
Thanks to our customers we raised £111 for Go Beyond Charity.
Go Beyond is the charity giving children and young people across the UK who experience serious challenges in their lives the chance for a break that lasts a lifetime. Their expert staff and committed volunteers give children and young people who have been bereaved, abused or bullied, who are living in poverty or caring for loved ones the chance to escape their worries and pressures.
Comment from Go Beyond Charity
We are a charity providing children across the UK with free respite breaks. We give children who have been bereaved, abused or bullied, who are living in poverty or caring for loved ones the chance to escape their worries and pressures. Our mission is to give every young person the moments and experiences they need to believe in themselves and think beyond the day-to-day for a bigger, brighter future.
The money raised will enable a child to come on a break and spend time outdoors doing treasure hunts, magic tricks, painting, gardening, bush-craft sessions and team-building activities. The breaks have been a lifeline for children and young people who have suffered intense loneliness and isolation in the height of the pandemic. – Mercedes Brazier (Marketing and Communications Manager)
Other ways to help their work
- People can donate via this link
- £30 can help towards the costs of all the lovely home cooked meals on a break. For some of the children it will be the first time they’ve ever had a roast dinner. Go Beyond also teaches them some cooking skills.
- £50 can help to pay for activities like horse riding, swimming, and rock climbing. These activities challenge the children and provide them with a great learning experience and sense of achievement.